Saturday 20 March 2021

Children in Scotland Conference


I’ve not really wrote on this blog properly but have mostly been using my awareness account on Instagram but I think getting back into writing in my blog. March is Endometriosis Awareness Month and it has been quite busy. I’ve been mainly preparing for the Children in Scotland Learning Week conference which starts on Monday (22nd) I am delighted that they have included Endometriosis in the programme. The presentation is a mix of my own experience and also other people that were willing to share their experience with me. Some of the responses I’ve had have been quite sad because of the dismissal and fight people have had to put up in order to get the right care and treatment.

On my Instagram I receive so many messages from people who have the condition or are going through the process of diagnosis. I have had this account since 2015 and it was just the start of my journey with the condition. I have also had people message to tell me that they like my account because it’s honest and shows the reality of this condition.

The main focus of my presentation in Learning Week is to raise awareness but also give professionals/organizations who work with children and young people an idea of symptoms to be aware of and how they can help but also get that child or young person support. Menstrual Wellbeing is so important and is something that should be implemented in the PSE curriculum in Scottish education. Girls are starting periods as young as 11 years old. People might think that teaching a 12- or 13-year-old about periods isn’t appropriate but girls need to know what they are experiencing but also what’s normal and what isn’t. Some of the girls I spoke to are currently at school and the support received is very mixed. I have tried to give suggestions in my presentation and hope that anyone that’s attending that works in education will hopefully take these on board or come forward to discuss further. I also highlight how early intervention is important because if there is a delay in diagnosis like what I’ve had it can have a devastating effect on every aspect of life.

If anyone has any questions or wants to chat further you can contact me on the following:

Instagram - @endowarrior_x

Twitter - @dionnemcfx


No comments: